Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

I am definitely not the best mother in the world, but I sure am a thankful one.

I am thankful for the example and inspiration provided for me by two dear women: my mother and my mother-in-law. My mother is a shining example of submission and cheerfulness. My mother-in-law continually models for me unconditional hospitality and generosity. I have so far to go, but I am grateful for these women who help to guide me.


And how kind the Lord has been to me in my marriage! What a wonder that I get to live with these people:



My two quiet, gentle, easygoing engineer-type men.


My first boy and girl. Fun, mature, and sincere.


My two little firecrackers.


Here are two quotes which challenge me as a mom.


"Biblical motherhood means sacrifice, selfless love, and faithful dedication. It means we're there with our families--body, mind, and spirit." Passionate Housewives Desperate for God, p. 21


"You cannot enjoy the pleasures of a close, loving relationship with godly, well-behaved children, if you are not willing to make parenting them your top priority. You must view it as your FULL TIME JOB, all day, every day." Raising Godly Tomatoes, p. 4


These words help me see clearly where I need to improve, and a constant theme to my prayers is that I will learn to die to self. It's no sacrifice for me to homeschool and be here full time. None at all. But for me to really, really, really be here--with my whole heart and whole mind FOCUSED on this job alone--well, that's harder. I pray God will keep working on me.


Our annual Mother's Day lunch at Longhorn Steakhouse. It's been a great day.

No comments: